After completing this activity, students will be able to:
- Recall basic calculations and definitions about acid-base chemistry.
- Interpret the pH scale and use Kw to draw relationships between [H+] and [OH–].
- Write reactions represented by Ka and Kb for monoprotic acids.
- Interpret the magnitudes of Ka and Kb.
- Identify conjugate acid-base pairs.
- Calculate the pH of strong acid, strong base, weak acid and weak base solutions
- Determine when using the quadratic formula is necessary to determine the pH of a solution.
- Find the fractions of association for weak acids and weak bases
Kate Mullaugh, College of Charleston (email@example.com)